Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Holy Thursday Reflection

As we prepare to celebrate Holy Thursday, we recall the Last Supper when Jesus blessed bread and wine and invited his apostles to eat and drink, saying "This is my body; this is my blood." We relive this sacred moment each time we share in the Eucharistic liturgy. Sometimes, as I get older or as I watch others go through a difficult time, the meaning of Eucharist takes on a whole new level of meaning. Perhaps at these times, it is possible to say with Jesus, "This is my body, my blood, that I can offer in some way--in its weakness, in its suffering, in its imperfection."

Eucharist
 
"This is my Body
Which will be given up for you.
This is my Blood
Which will be shed for all."
 
So you spoke...
And so your words echoed down the centuries,
Sustaining us,
Saving us,
Giving us hope,
Filling fear-filled lives with strength and awe
We cannot fully grasp--
That God-in-Love
Had Body broken
Blood spilled out
For creatures such as we.
 
this is my body...
breaking down,
taking turns and twists
that planning did not plan.
this is my blood...
lacking substance,
lacking strength
to foster healing's growth.
 
take them,
God-in-Love,
weakened body,
weakened blood,
gifts returned to you who gave as gift'
take and use my lack,
my fear,
as gifts for hearts that cry for strength
and love.
 
                                               Ann Marie Slavin, OSF


2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Truly a beautiful reflection!

Ceil said...

Hi Sr.! It was so nice to see you again. Thank you for your Easter wishes.
I really like this poem and thought. It's hard to sustain how weak I am sometimes. I just want to quit. But even my weakness can be used by the Lord. And he will make me stronger in grace.

Have a most blessed Holy Week, and joyful Easter!
Ceil

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...